Tuesday, August 2, 2011

against the odds...

I chose to talk about how the "Boys of Baraka" showed a few students who fought "against the odds" to change their lives and not become a stereotype or statistic.  The first thing that surprised me when watching this was how wise and mature a few of these boys were.  They seemed to know that if they didn't get out of that community and take advantage of this opportunity, they may not be able to go places they wanted to go later in life.  Adolescent boys aren't usually the portrait of wisdom and maturity, but I think with these few, they had experienced so many hardships and harsh realities that it brought on a premature realization of how their community functioned.  I wonder how this affected their stages of development, whether positive or negative.  I feel that the term "against the odds" also relates this film to the White Privilege article.  These boys had so little.  Their families had so little. Their schools seemed to have so little as well.  But against all the odds they were given the opportunity to step out of the codes of power and empower themselves to make their futures better.  This film was incredibly inspiring to me as well as heartbreaking.  As future educators I think we want to save every child and give them the most rich and fulfilling learning experience we can.  But I think sometimes, we have to face the reality that sometimes it just won't be possible, and that may be one of the hardest things of being an educator.

3 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you mean. While watching the film I was amazed but saddened by the boys experiences and wisdom. They were not oblivious as to the world they were growing up in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin, against the odds was my word, and I definitely had the same reaction that you did. Made me wonder why I was so surprised to see that they understood their own plight, especially since they were surrounded by it. I guess maybe I thought that without an objective perspective, they would just see it as "how things are," which may explain why a lot of people in that environment may not see "getting out" as a feasible option. But it definitely made me realize that the majority of people in those communities do not like or approve of what is going on outside their front doors. It's crucial that we do not lump all people who live in "the ghetto" together; when we do that, we make them "others," and not just any others, but others who do drugs, commit crimes, and kill each other. I wish more people saw documentaries like these. (May I also HIGHLY recommend watching the HBO series, The Wire. The entire 4th season focuses on the school system in Baltimore, but all the seasons are worth watching.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that the boys were mature and wise for their age. It seems like they have been exposed to many things that children should not have to see or hear. I think for the boys to be cognizant of their reality and want to take action shows that they really do want a great future. I think all children have some hope in them for a better future.

    ReplyDelete