Thursday, August 4, 2011

Home away from home

During our amazing opening activity (thank you Elisabeth and Anna) I wrote that I am thankful for feeling "at home" in many different areas of my life. I feel blessed with a strong sense of belonging that is linked to different people and places. While certain physical places hold a deep connection for me, it is the people who I am surrounded by that offer the deepest sense of belonging. I feel grounded at my condo with my wonderful fiance and my little puppy Leila (even if she does cause havoc every second of the day... I am talking about my puppy, just to be clear!) I feel grounded at my parents house, even though I do not have a bedroom there. I feel grounded in the ocean, as I surf with my closest friends. I feel grounded at my Grandma's house among the beautiful gardens my family has toiled over for years to create. Finally, I feel grounded in the many classrooms of Lewis & Clark, as long as I have my cohort with me!

I truly feel it is not what you surround yourself with, or where you are, it is the people you choose to spend your time with that offer the strongest feeling of belonging.

No comments:

Post a Comment