Wednesday, August 3, 2011

POWER! Ka-POW!

POWER. So many thoughts race to mind when I think of that word. In the movie Boys Of Baraka I saw power and power struggles in so many different places. I saw power in Richard when he was speaking about how he is strong (in the beginning of the movie) and how he is not going to let growing up in the projects be the deciding factor of his life. I saw power in the Baraka program itself, first, how the school creates an environment for the boys to empower themselves, but also how they have the power to drastically change the boys’ lives. The statement Richard and Romesh’s mother makes, “don’t make one a king and the other a killer,” is a statement that will stick with me for the rest of my life. I see the connection to power within the theories as well. As Piaget encourages students to construct their own knowledge he transfers the power from the teacher (in the direct teaching model) to the student by validating their own knowledge and how they interpret the world. I also see a connection to the white privilege article by Peggy McIntosh. The power to be a citizen of this country and feel like I belong and that I am not being “watched” is something I haven’t really thought about too much before. I haven’t thought about it because I have the POWER not to, because I am part of the dominate culture. Power is everywhere and weaves itself into all aspects of our lives, being able to recognize that it is there, however, is another story.

No comments:

Post a Comment