Wednesday, August 3, 2011

The serenity of the beach

My place is definitely the beach. Waves crashing, sand in my toes, sometimes sunny, usually rainy, often windy, somehow peaceful ... always. For as long as I can remember I’ve been spending time at the beach. When I was a child, I went to the Atlantic Ocean beaches as I lived in Maryland and we spent our summers in South Carolina (my dad was an ornithologist for the government and spent his summers studying the brown pelican in South Carolina). I remember wading out into the warm water in my dad’s arms, spending hours bobbing in the waves. When we moved to Oregon I was surprised by the drastic change in water temperature, so my love for the beach transferred from playing in the waves to watching them. The rush of water blocks out all distraction and noise, the smell is incredibly refreshing, the taste of salt is on my lips after a walk on the shore, and I realize I am in my own world. Everything seems better, easier at the beach. The towns seem smaller, the agenda is simpler, the options are fewer, and life just takes on a slower, more relaxed pace when I am there. If only there was a way to bottle that serenity ...

3 comments:

  1. Emily, I completely agree with you about the beach. Though it wasn't the place that I choose to talk about here, the beach has always been such a centering force for me - something about the wind and the hugeness of the ocean. My dad and I would always look for agates, which took lots of focus and attention. I also loved seeing how my favorite beach changed over time, and at different times of year. Mmmm, now I want to go to the BEACH!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The beach is an extremely peaceful and relaxing place for me. I could watch the waves for hours. There is something different about northwest beaches compared to tropical beaches. For me, the beach is about escaping and just enjoying my surrounding. Life does slow down at the beach!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post reminds me of how I felt about growing up on an island. Life actually does move slower! When we are put in environments that do not include the constant stimulus to speed up (billboards, chain restaurants, freeways) we remember that living life in the fast lane is not important. It is more about enjoying what you have around you. I think Paige brings up an important aspect critical to your post - the "hugeness" of the ocean. This adds to the feeling of being on a beach (or an island) to visually see nature in such a vast form makes me feel humble, and reminds me of where I stand in the web of life. Great post, thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete