Thursday, August 4, 2011

Three places I always want to be

Carrying on from our icebreaker on Wednesday, I just want to say how appreciative I am that I have not only one, but three places that I feel at home. Just thinking about my special places, I can't help but to think of all the children in the world who may not have a place where they don't feel struggle. With that being said I am so happy to share my special places with you!
My parents kitchen is always buzzing with music, familiar voices, fragrant foods, tasty beverages, and pure enjoyment. I am fortunate to come from a family that values family relationships, love, and support (and of course a love to enjoy oneself). People who visit my parent's house often expect a small party, filled with stimulating conversation and lots of food and drink. When I am feeling not my best, my mind always returns to my parent's kitchen, and it puts a smile on my face.
I found peace of mind in the studio where I practiced yoga in Korea. Though I would come in and be separated by my race, language, culture, and the amount I sweated compared to my peers, I found that I could provide support to myself through my practice. In Korea, for the first time in my life I struggled to find friends and found myself alone many times. I learned how to depend myself and being able to do that lent a lot of time for self reflection. Even though I was alone, it was because of my practice that I no longer felt lonely.
I was also able to find a new home in my classroom. On my most difficult days, without the comforts of home, I would walk into my classroom to find smiling faces eager to see me. At that point, what seemed difficult became irrelevant, and I would begin the lesson. Although most of Korean culture is unfamiliar to me, I adapted to the Korean education system and have found kindness and acceptance from my students.

1 comment:

  1. I appreciated your story about yoga in Korea and feeling alone. I'm glad that you were able to continue to go and feel the connection. Sometimes I think that we begin to know ourselves best when we're outside of our comfort zone and "alone." I also like that your classroom was like home. The smiling faces of students is so inspiring and mood changing. How can we not smile at their excitement and joy of learning?

    ReplyDelete