Thursday, June 23, 2011

I am an educator who is evolving.

I am an educator who believes that every child can learn. I am an educator who believes that all children want to learn. By whole-heartedly believing in these statements I feel I will approach hiccups and speed bumps with patience and respect. By living these statements I will stop at nothing to ensure that each of my students receives the conditions that promote learning for them.

I am an educator who intends to teach social and behavioral skills in conjunction with the curriculum. I feel strongly that a powerful teacher goes way beyond content and curriculum. I believe that a great teacher provides their students with the education they need. Sometimes that education is learning to add or learning the alphabet, but sometimes that education means learning how to talk to peers. I intend to be an educator that appropriately assesses what my students need and provides it.

I am an educator who intends to meet students where they are at and not judge them based on educational standards. I feel it is my job to value and educate each student regardless of where they are starting from when they enter my classroom.

I am an educator who hopes to inspire students so that they are as excited to be in school as much as I am. I love school. I loved elementary school when I was a child and I love it even more now as an adult. I want to excite my students so that they too can share in the wonderment that exists in the world we live in. I do not particularly care what excites them as long as they feel passionate about something in this world.

I am an educator who values structure, nurturance, and fun equally. From my experience working in foster care I have been a witness of the extreme power of a high structure, high nurturance environment. I intend to be predictable but never boring. I intend to surprise my students but never pull the rug out from under them. I hope to bring fun into the classroom in a way that benefits the class and myself.

I am an educator who is still learning. I am an educator who values making mistakes and will not allow pride to get in the way of my students’ learning. Through trial, error, and determination I hope to evolve into a great teacher.

1 comment:

  1. It's hard not to write Amen as a comment for all of the blog posts, especially yours. The last sentence I believe to be one of the most important things to know as we go into the uncertain, ever-changing world of education. I feel one of the hardest yet simplest ideas/lessons to learn is how to admit when we are wrong and move past it.

    ReplyDelete