Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Treasuring it up!

Since I have had so many mind expanding moments so far, it is hard to pick just two, but I will give it my best effort. First, I think one of the treasures from the first week for me is recognizing the creativity in every subject that I will teach. Math, science, reading, writing; they are all subjects that require imagination and a creative way of problem solving. I feel like I have been wearing blinders and viewing school subjects as disconnected entities. The first week of graduate school has taught me that these subjects are enmeshed and belong together, playing off each other to maximize learning.

The second treasure I will be plucking from the first week of school is learning the history of the public school system. I feel like I am now able to reflect on my own educational experiences with a new lens. I feel that with this knowledge and understanding of the history of public education, I will bring a critical eye to my own classroom and curriculum. I know that I have had several experiences in my first week of graduate school that will aid me in becoming a well-rounded educator, but these two “ah ha” moments are two I hope to never forget.

3 comments:

  1. Sarah,

    I also have found learning more about the history of the public school system to be an integral part of my experience here so far. This year will be my first experience teaching in the Public School system, so going in with some background is extremely helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally agree with the discovery of the creativity in every subject! It makes me so excited to think about incorporating different subjects into one lesson that will encompass a broad idea of what we wish them to retain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah, I love how you point out that subjects are not disconnected entities and I think that that is also abundantly clear in how interconnected all of our classes at LC are. It can get a little confusing trying to remember what thoughts and readings went with what class but that is because everything that we are learning is a connected piece of education, just as math, science, arts and language are all interconnected and dependent parts of knowledge.

    ReplyDelete