Thursday, June 23, 2011

I'm an educator who...

I’m an educator who wants to learn with my students through the variety of perspectives in the classroom and community. I think that it’s important for me to get to know all of my students on a personal level (know their home life situation and their interests inside and outside of the classroom) so that I can make learning adaptive to them. I want to be a teacher that can let students go off on little tangents so they can express themselves and what is going on in their lives. I want to have the community involved so students can get a more authentic feel for the way other people are and create a sense of trust and respect in the classroom. When students ask me a question I don’t know, I want to look up the answer together so we both can learn from it. It’s also important to keep parents and guardians in the loop with weekly newsletters and updates through email. A teacher is only one person and therefore only has their style of teaching, by bringing in people of the community in to discuss their cultures or careers, etc. the students’ gain all these different perspectives that will improve and diversify their views on the world. It’s important to be humble enough as a teacher to ask for assistance and help from others. I can’t offer everything to my students but by working together as a community, everyone can nurture one another’s learning.

1 comment:

  1. Natalie,

    First off, I appreciate your comments! The theme of "it takes a village to raise a child" really resonated within me. I think the way your related this to the teaching profession is really great - while we are only one piece of the web, we can attempt to facilitate many other aspects for each individual student. The terms "being humble" and "asking for help" are two statements I hope to remember in my own classroom.

    Brendan

    ReplyDelete