Monday, June 27, 2011

My Treasures

The first week of Graduate school has given me so many 'golden nuggets' as my mother would say. First and foremost the biggest treasure has been my cohort. I really feel like my inspiration and my determination as a teacher is greatly influenced by those around me. Being in such a small cohort I have had the opportunity to get to know many different people and their experiences - my eyes have opened, some of my perspectives have changed, and I am excited about the collaboration and the creativity that is to come. Thanks Cohort 1!!!

I also have had the opportunity to start becoming a teacher - we have had the opportunity to experiment with mini lesson plans or informal lesson plans, using what we've learned about in class and through the readings to guide us in the exploration of curriculum. I appreciate the active learning we've been doing and the opportunity we've had for trail and error.

It's only been a week and already I am able to use information from each class in the other classes, I am able to better articulate who I am as an educator and who I want to be as an educator. While my definition will continue to change I will always remember that I am an educator who is imperfect - may that humble me (thanks Olivia). Imperfection means there is always room for growth and change - as I move forward I hope to keep that in mind. 

1 comment:

  1. Katie,
    I really liked that you used the cohort as one of your treasures. I agree that we are in a place that is full of inspiration from our peers. I think that we are all very supportive of each other and that we can help make each other better people. I'm amazed at how far we've come in one week. Can you imagine what will happen in a year? I also like how you mentioned how your definition of who you are as an educator will change. It really goes along nicely with the humble aspect that you and Olivia have talked about. I'm really looking forward to a great and meaningful year. Get excited!

    ReplyDelete