Tuesday, June 28, 2011

My Treasures

One of the things I am finding that I really treasure is all of our unique experiences we all bring with us. They are like our fingerprints, all completely different. I have found that even though we all share different backgrounds and experiences, there is a cohesion amongst us. It seems like this would be obvious, as we are all in the same program with ultimately the same goals of course we are all going to get along well. But this is not exactly the experiences I have found working with and amongst other teachers. In my own personal experience working with other like minded teachers I felt a deep polarity that did not help to improve the school atmosphere, it rather hindered progression and made for a very (emphasis on very) long day. I also take with me the notion that we are all humans, and we as humans will continue to make mistakes and that it is O.K to not operate at 100% all of the time. I was relieved to hear that some of our professors face the same anxieties that we hold, even after many years of teaching. It lessens my own personal anxieties and fears. At the end of the day we all want the very best for ourselves and our students, but there will be times when you have given all there is to give and sometimes it may not seem or feel like enough. And breathe...........

2 comments:

  1. I think a big part of why we might feel that cohesion is that we probably all chose to attend Lewis and Clark for similar reasons. This morning when we were talking about critical pedagogy in ED 550, I was really into it, but didn't want to alienate anyone whose political leanings may have been a bit different from mine. However, someone brought up the fact that a huge part of our schooling here at L&C is the social justice component. I think we are all already on the same track, more or less, about how our experiences as teachers can really have positive impacts on people and communities very close to us. It's really great to be surrounded by so many wonderful, positive, and caring people who are going through what I am going through =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally feel you, Aileen and Olivia! It is so nice to learn and evolve in a comfortable environment that allows the freedom to think critically and not be perfect. It was so nice today to hear Joe talk about the insecurities he still feels as a teacher. I think allowing yourself to be imperfect as a human and as an educator is extremely important.

    ReplyDelete