Thursday, June 30, 2011

The ties that bind, them

While I was reading through Mooney's text, I jumped around from one theorist to the next. The three that really seemed to have a lot in common were Vygotsky, Montessori and Piaget. These three held a lot of the same values as educators, each in their own style. All seemed to disregard intelligent tests as a means of assessment and valued observation as a way to see how and where each child was on their developmental path. The main difference that Piaget illustrated was that he had very specific stages of development that each child entered into and in order to move to the next one had to be completed, which the others did not. Another key element they all seemed to value was giving a child time and space to interact with peers to form their own ideas and opinions. Montessori was the most extreme in this regard, she did not believe in interferring with a child's "work," believing that if the child was given enough time they soon would work through it and construct their own ideas and meanings. Vygotsky on the other hand believed that children not only learned from other peers, but also from teachers as well, this I feel really is one of the main differences between him and Montessori. Piaget felt that asking open ended questions would help lead the child to the road of discovery and creating open environments that did not prescribe conditions was essential. For me personally I think each has their merits and limitations. For example children who thrive on both child and adult interaction may not favor a Montessori setting. I do however believe that assessment through standardized testing is in no way accurate in showing a child's potential, it shows how well they did the day they took the test. There are too many factors that affect the outcome of tests to hold them to be the final/true word. I am now stepping off my testing soapbox.

2 comments:

  1. Let me offer an "Amen, SIster!" to your comment regarding standardized testing. I completely agree - standardized, written tests rarely capture a student's knowledge. One of the things I struggled with most as a parent was having to advocate for fair testing practices for my daughter who struggled with reading. She completely understood concepts of math and science, accurately answering any question presented verbally, but could not read the instructions on tests and didn't feel comfortable asking her teacher or peers to read them for her, which set her up to fail time and time again. It was hard to believe her teachers didn't understand this dilemma and/or wouldn't accommodate her needs, but that is what we faced. I the theorists' belief in observation as a means of assessment, creating curriculum, and determining individual levels of challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with what both of you are saying when it comes to standardized testing. I really appreciate how the theorists valued observation over standardized testing. I agree with the theorists and I appreciate how we are learning in our program how to teach the standards so that they can be successful on standardized tests but also have freedom to teach progressively and constructively so that students get the most learning out of our classes.

    ReplyDelete