Thursday, June 23, 2011

I am an Educator Who...

I am an educator who cares what kids think. Often children are told, explicitly or implicitly, that their thoughts and ideas have less value than those of adults and I strive to be an educator who doesn’t make my students believe that. I strive to keep my memories of childhood fresh in my mind and wish that more adults would do so. I hope to be able to relate to the challenges of growing up and discovering new things but also be able to respect the differences between my own life experience and those of my students. I believe that by respecting the thoughts and opinions of my students I can foster a more positive and engaged classroom community where students feel empowered, important, and responsible.

1 comment:

  1. I think that this is a great outlook on teaching. It seems like it may be easy to forget that we can learn so much from students when we are in the educator role!

    ReplyDelete