Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Treasures

The piece we read in ED550 by Parker Palmer, titled “The Heart of a Teacher,” was inspirational and comforting. In order to be successful as an educator we need to bring with us a strong sense of personal identity. In order to do this we need to make time for self reflection. “The connections made by good teachers are held not in their methods but in their hearts- meaning heart in its ancient sense, as the place where intellect and emotion and spirit and will converge in the human self.” We must hear others techniques, beliefs and theories and integrate these with our own. My cohort is offering a wealth of experience and knowledge.

In “Yardsticks” we looked at distinct developmental stages. It was refreshing to realize that there are common themes to children’s development (oftentimes). This book is an easy access point in realizing where children in my classroom may be emotionally, cognitively, physically. I will want to take these stages into account when preparing for my student teaching assignment.

1 comment:

  1. Self-reflection is key and something that is not alway encouraged in life. It has actually felt odd to me to do so much of it this week. But I am glad that we are doing that and hope that I will continue to do that through my years of teaching.

    ReplyDelete