Sunday, June 26, 2011

My Treasures

Two treasures that I have taken from this week include the moment my water rocket exploded in our science class and the moment when I had to sing “Love Shack” during our first icebreaker in the Child Development class. These two moments are extremely memorable for me and both gave me a sense of what I might need to be prepared for as a teacher. Having my rocket explode (and be the only rocket to explode) was mortifying for me. It was also kind of sad not being able to watch in awe as it could have spiraled toward the sky like so many others did. I’m actually kind of happy that it did explode because I think this kind of situation is common in classrooms. Through the week, we’ve learned a lot of GREAT ideas for lessons, activities, and ways to be in the classroom. However, it is inevitable that things won’t always go off without a hitch or sometimes an activity might literally “blow up” in your face. It was an experience that helped relax me and realize that I have to roll with the punches and go with the flow. At the end of the day, it was really fun and I’ll always remember it. The second treasure would be stepping out of my comfort zone and singing a brief bit of a song that I love. There’s something about singing that makes me feel like I would almost rather do anything else than sing in front of people. Somehow I toughened up and sang my part, shared my story, and survived. It wasn’t as bad as I thought. In my future classroom, I’m going to have to step out of my comfort zone a lot more so it’s time I start getting used to it. Sometimes I’ll have to be goofy, sometimes I’ll have to venture out of my comfort zone, but it will all be worth it.

1 comment:

  1. Nicole- I really identified with your comments about your treasures - that you had one that you could have easily buried once again, and another that you were excited to unearth. Both proved to be wonderful additions to your treasure chest. But enough with the metaphor ... what I'm really trying to say is I appreciate that you shared your feelings about how you felt when something didn't go as planned. I had a similar experience last week, and I think it was good to be reminded that life isn't perfect and neither are the people that occupy it. The treasure I gained from your blog is that every situation is a learning opportunity.

    ReplyDelete