Monday, June 27, 2011

Treasures To Cherish

My treasure chest is overflowing! The treasures I have compiled this week seem innumerable. I have learned so much ... not necessarily in regards to the content I will need to teach (although I did learn some of that too!), but more about how I want to teach and how to teach more effectively.
One of the things I rediscovered is what it feels like to be humbled and to think like a student. Botching the ice breaker activity for Child Development made me feel embarrassed and less than competent. Remembering Zalika's words in our first class that we could ask to redo any assignment we weren't happy with, Jeri & I both agreed we wanted a chance for a "do-over"; we were granted this opportunity. And yet, I continued to fret. I worried about it longer than I probably should have, and then - as I've been learning to do this week - started asking myself - how would I feel if one of my students worried this much over something so trivial? Or really over any assignment? By asking for the chance to try the assignment again we had wiped the slate clean - or had we? I realized my students would need a clean slate over and over again, and all must truly be forgiven and forgotten to move forward. I hope I find the ability to do this. And I hope they - and their parents, and my peers - will all find the grace to offer this chance to me when I need it as well. For as I realized, I will need it.
Another treasure I collected was a glimpse into how to teach in a more critical, thoughtful way, enabling students to discover answers and explanations for themselves instead of spoon feeding data they are supposed to memorize. Although I already believed this theory, it was reinforced many times throughout the week. One specific lesson that stands out for me is last Friday's math class, when we were asked to do the activities presented on each table with manipulatives. My table's first inclination was to simply "do" the activity. But then Linda wondered over and - seeing the 1st grade math task hadn't stumped us and we were virtually done - asked why we did it the way we did. And if we did it a different way, would the answer be the same. And were both answers correct, if they were derived and/or represented in slightly different ways. And what if this? And what if that? And let's not just acknowledge a "correct" answer or offer praise to someone who may be on the right track, but look deeper for verification so as not to cut anyone's learning or exploration short. I was absolutely intrigued by her open ended means of questioning and teaching.
I also appreciated the classroom exercise Jodi executed in the video we watched ... everyone was included in an activity that was secretly tailored to each child's learning level - although you wouldn't have known just by observation. Everyone participated, everyone understood the concept, and the exercise felt very practical and important to the class. I hope these jewels, along with the host of others I've picked up and those I excavate in the future, will stay in my treasure chest for ever.

1 comment:

  1. Emily, I so appreciate the opportunity for a do-over too! One of the treasures I wrote about was that idea that I am an educator who is imperfect - and I think that acknowledging that allows me to 1. be humble and admit if I didn't make something clear and 2. know that there is always room for growth and change. If I hope this for myself, how could I not grant my students the same opportunity? Although I loved your doughnut song (I sing it at summer camp!) I'm looking forward to your revised lesson plan. Thank you for for your bravery as you navigated through the assignment and helped make it more clear for the rest of us! :)

    ReplyDelete