Sunday, July 10, 2011

Captured Moment

The moment that I captured at the children’s museum was in the grocery store. Some of the things I noticed were the different areas such as cold food, bread, dry food, and a produce section. I also noticed a small “bistro” with bar stools all at the level of the children. Another unique feature was that everything labeled in the store also had its equivalent in Spanish. I thought this was a really great way to make sure that all kids are feeling inclusive. I was really impressed by how the kids were all interacting and playing cooperatively at the store. There were two “older” kids who were staying at the checkout and I thought, someone’s going to get upset that these two aren’t leaving the cash registers (because for me, the cash registers are the most exciting), but everyone just kept playing, and having fun. It reminded me about Vygotsky and how he was a big proponent of social interaction among students. Allowing the children to interact with one another and be social is important and helps children learn important skills. I also appreciated that everything was “child-sized” like the grocery carts, the stools, the little computer, the sink, and even the groceries. I just loved how much of a cooperative and collaborative environment was there.

1 comment:

  1. Nicole - Great observations! After reading your post I realized how little discontent there seemed to be throughout the entire museum. In most children-focused environments there seems to be some arguing, bossing, crying, etc, but as I read your blog I realized I saw none of that at the children's museum. Maybe it was because there was plenty of opportunity for all? Or maybe it was simply because so many of the parents seemed to let their children take the lead in their play and just work things out for themselves and define their own social structure? I agree - it is a wonderfully cooperative and collaborative environment!

    ReplyDelete