Tuesday, July 26, 2011

I Am From...

Class on Friday was a very powerful experience for me.  I enjoyed sharing a bit of myself with the class.  I did realize that it can be hard sharing something so personal but I felt comfortable in the setting we were in.  I think it's important for our students to feel this way as well when sharing about themselves. Students need to feel safe when sharing something so personal.  The silence spoke a great deal of words.  The silence in the room made me feel a great sense of respect from everybody.  I felt like everybody was listening without judging.  When I was thinking of where I was from, I really had to dig deep. This exercise was harder than I expected it to be.  I have had some of the codes growing up and I think that made my life "easier" in a sense. I kept focusing on negative events in my life, but I realized that where I come from is a combination of many things. I feel really fortuante for my life growing up and realize that all of my experiences, good and bad are what make me who I am. 

1 comment:

  1. Amy, great job detailing the essence in the room. I feel that we as a cohort have come far in building respectful relationships to one another, possibly due to the learning environments that our teachers create. I strive to provide a comfortable learning environment for all students, and though I know we have some concrete examples, would love to share ideas as a cohort on ways to do this.

    ReplyDelete