Thursday, July 28, 2011

Unpacking the knapsack...

I think that Peggy McIntosh's article is extremely relevant to our society and I appreciate it and the way it makes me reflect on society and my own privilege whether I realize it or not. I think the main thesis of this article is that white privilege is often something that is not recognized by those who are white, yet it's there and needs to be acknowledged. There are so many errands/chores/things that a white person, like me, can do without realizing the privilege involved. Sometimes we need to step back and reflect.

One thing that I agree with in this article that she mentions is, "Many of our students in the U.S. think that racism doesn't affect them because they are not people of color..." I read this and thought about how I hear people say, "Oh I don't see color" or reference being "color blind" and I think it's problematic. I find myself feeling mixed emotions because it can be seen as not recognizing who a person is and what experiences might have shaped them. It also reminds me about an article I saw after Obama was elected with the title of, "Is Racism Over?"

One thing I disagree with "My schooling gave me no training in seeing myself as an oppressor, as an unfairly advantaged person , or as a participant in a damaged culture." I feel fortunate that through my schooling, I have been exposed to these questions and discussions. I don't like that I can be seen as an oppressor, but through ethnic studies courses as well as women's studies, I feel that I have explored privilege and social justice and I am more open to the sometimes unfortunate truths.

One thing that spurs me to action are issues involving heterosexism. She briefly mentions that heterosexism is one of the interlocking oppressions along with sexism and racism, but I feel that since this is a topic that hits close to home, I try to do what I can. Whether it's something like challenging a person who uses a gay slur or protesting a measure, this is one topic that brings out a different side in me. Sometimes it's hard for me to feel like springing to action in various facets of life because I am not one who enjoys confrontation or conflict.

1 comment:

  1. Nicole,
    I completely agree with your last paragraph about not wanting to deal with conflict or be the person to confront someone when they are doing or saying something that is derogitory (sp) or insulting to a large group of people. There are so many things that spring to mind, such as being in a situation where it has to do with an elder, a boss or someone you respect. I too am not a boat rocker, but I admire people who have the verbal karate skills to deal with those types of situations.

    ReplyDelete