Thursday, July 28, 2011

Multicultural Education

In this article, Education in a Multicultural Society: Our Future's Greatest Challenge, Delpit discusses... wait for it... multicultural education (groundbreaking... I know...) more in a sense of we as teachers have a lot of learning to do in order to be more effective and understanding.

I agree with Delpit when she tells the story about the teacher Richard, who wrote her after a conference. He asked her for help with their school, which was filled with mainly European-American faculty, because they were having trouble with African-American boys. Her first piece of advice was to hire a staff that matched that more closely reflected the diversity of the student body. Realizing this was not practical for the problem at hand, she told Richard to urge his staff to seek the help of the families in learning more about the children, and how to teach them. Previously, the school had contacted parents about behavioral issues, but the parents did not see these behaviors at home, and didn't understand. The school faculty perceived this as parents not being honest about their student. After Delpit's suggestion, Richard wrote back and informed her that he was having success using her advice, and the school was beginning to solve problems previously thought to be impossible.
I think this really shows that as teachers, we can sometimes make assumptions that hurt the children, even based on "evidence." In this situation, the parents saying "I don't get it, they are fine at home" was evidence to the teachers that they were not being honest about their children's behaviors. Without having a dialogue, it was only an assumption. Allowing the parents of "Other Peoples Children" to help in their education is not only a good idea, it is a crucial element! We must find opportunities to get to know the student in all ways, is there any better than asking the people who raised them?

One statement that I would argue with is something that really caught me off guard. On pages 175-176, Delpit discusses a situation where a parent came into the classroom to celebrate her daughter's birthday. The woman apparently smelled of alcohol, and was running around the room creating a frenzy. Delpit says the woman cared deeply about her child, and to be very clear, I am NOT arguing with her on this point. She continues on to say "despite her possible inappropriateness... She also probably felt the need to bolster her courage a bit with a drink in order to face fifteen four-year-olds and keep them entertained." She comments we must understand that parents care for their kids. I was astounded that Delpit seemed to brush off the fact that the woman smelled of booze, and probably felt like she needed it. If it were a cocktail party FORTY year olds, that would socially acceptable. Not for FOUR year olds.

One aspect that spurs me into action is her discussion of authority styles used by different cultures. As a beginning teacher, I often reverted to trying to make sure all of the kids "liked" me. This attitude leads to major pitfalls, and sometimes even loss of control. I like how Delpit explains that some students need very direct and firm authority, because that is what they respond to. There are also students on the opposite side of the spectrum, who need to be nurtured. This issue all boils down to knowing what your student needs. All of us will be in a new classroom this fall, and I encourage all of you to think about what Delpit is saying before you enter. You are a teacher, and you are an authority figure. This doesn't mean you need to rule with an iron fist, but you do need to be in control. This passage will go into my "treasure chest" to be pulled out in times when I need a reminder!

1 comment:

  1. Brendan, I was also caught off guard about the passage about the drunk mother in preschool. It makes me wonder where being politically correct and respectful of other cultures might cross the line into validating inappropriate behavior. Despite it being legal to consume alcohol, it is an intoxicating and mind-altering substance that impairs judgment, as are other not-so-legal substances. I wonder how Delpit might have reacted if the mother came in jacked up on meth or crack. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy my whiskey, but I think there is definitely an appropriate time and place!

    ReplyDelete