Friday, July 22, 2011

Codes of Power

Nicole: I think skills are an important part to fluency, but I don't think it's having one or the other.  I think having skills will help make being fluent easier.  As we did in our workshop on Wednesday, I felt like we actually got a little glimpse of what it was like to write on a more skill based level and what it was like to write more freely and ceatively and not necessarily worry about skills.  It made a difference to me in the way I composed my thoughts.  I think the same has to apply to children.  I think children should be given many opportunites to go full force into an activity or lesson without having to worry about the mechanics of it.  I think that allows for more creativity and will get their thoughts on the paper.  I think it's also important to know each students capabilities and understand that what you may expect from one student, you may not expect from another.  I think you have to look at the progression of that student throughout the year.

I have a question about codes of power.  Children may come to school with all different power codes than the ones we have in our country.  How do we as educators help students balance the multiple codes of power they may possess?

No comments:

Post a Comment