Tuesday, July 19, 2011

An Educational Smorgasbord

I see the theories we’ve been learning as all the tools I have available in my kitchen as I start to make a really good meal. All of the food ingredients I have on hand are pieces of content that will make up the delicious meal of learning for my students. Dewey and Montessori’s theories are all my pots and pans, they serve as the basic background for my thinking, encouraging me to observe, be child-centered, and provide authentic opportunities for real life learning experiences. Piaget, Erickson, and Kohlberg are my timers, measuring spoons and sense of sight. They let me know when my meal has reached a new stage, how much or how little salt and spices my meal can handle, and when it’s time to change what I’m doing to better suit my desired outcome. Vygotsky is my mixing spoon that lets me taste test, stir, and gently prod my meal to make sure it’s going in the right direction. Delpit is a great cookbook that reminds me that I have to know about each of my individual meals and ingredients and how they will impact the people I feed them to, she reminds me that we all need vitamins and minerals and some of us have different nutritional needs, desires, and preferences. With all of these tools I am working to improve my cooking skills so that I can provide nutritious, filling, and yummy food that will feed and satisfy a whole table full of different students.

1 comment:

  1. I like how you use the theories as the 'utensils' of cooking because then the ingredients can change. Those changes can be applied to different schools, kids, programs, states, standards, etc. It really shows the foundation - the backbone - of theory in your pedagogy.

    ReplyDelete