Saturday, July 23, 2011

Too critical of myself

The experience in class to share out the “I am from…” was interesting. I liked hearing everyone else’s very much and found theirs to be very deep and inspiring. My own, which I shared, was something that I could have spent a long time with. When I shared out, going after Zalika, I was embarrassed when I realized that mine was leaving out so many major important parts of me. One thing I should have mentioned more that is reflected in this message is that I’m very critical of myself. I often find things that I could have done better and really compare my work to others. I really respect our cohort and enjoy learning from everyone. It's hard for me sometimes to share out, not the actual sharing out but waiting for responses. I know I ask a lot of questions and talk a lot during class, but I get really self conscious of what people think of me because I don't want to make anyone feel uncomfortable or annoyed. I also get embarrassed when I get excited to answer a question and realized I misunderstood. I guess that's where my impulsiveness and planning side conflict. I think that the activity really connected to the subjects we have been learning about. Equity especially is a huge thing. I think of equity as measuring what each individual needs to get a designated result. We all need different things in our cohort to become successful and by listening to each other we can act upon those needs and work together to improve learning.

1 comment:

  1. Natalie - I'm not sure whether we are supposed to comment this week or not, but I couldn't leave your post out there hanging and not respond. I want you to know how much I appreciate your honesty in your blog, and more importantly, the presence you are in our cohort and classes. I love that you ask so many questions, because that usually means I don't have to. I often find myself waiting for you to take the leap and put yourself out there because I am uncomfortable doing it. Please do not be so hard on yourself ... it is obvious you are brilliant, dedicated, and on top of that just plain nice. I am so glad you are part of our cohort! Now stop being so critical of yourself!! : )

    ReplyDelete