Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Friday's Class

Last Friday's class was also a bit of a roller coaster for me as well. I think I have a hard time staying focused on Fridays.  During the "I am From" exercise I found it difficult for me to emotionally connect with my writing.  As I witnessed such strongly expressed emotions from my peers, which were so powerful, I started to feel self conscious that I was not experiencing the same emotions.  My writing I felt reflected how I was feeling about my life at the moment, however, it wasn't until wrapping up the sharing that I started to get emotional.  So much reflection in the past 8 weeks I feel has made me a little numb.  My personal opinions of my views, my life and myself are starting to feel generic and unreal.  I value the fact that we our program is structured around personal stories and opinions.  However, sometimes hearing others stories and experiences make me think that I have don't have enough culture or background to sympathize and understand my students to come.  Or perhaps I am not enough in touch with my emotions, which seems odd to me because I do consider myself an emotionally driven person.  I think exercise like the "I am From" are a great idea, highly therapeutic and eye-opening.  For me, I think going back to this at a different time may produce a more emotionally engaged experience.

1 comment:

  1. I sometimes feel the same way about not having enough culture to understand where some of my students are coming from. Other People's Children and Children of Immigration are really opening my eyes up to the culture that other children possess and how that culture helps make them who they are.

    ReplyDelete