Tuesday, July 19, 2011

My Baggage

The theorists and their ideals are for me like the contents of a piece of luggage I am bring with me on a new adventure. Dewey is the piece of clothing I could never leave behind, the one that goes with almost everything and gives me confidence, is practical yet can be innovative, he is the pair of jeans that fits perfectly (no matter what fluctuation comes), the pair that can be worn throughout any situation, my old trusty's. Piaget is that flashy dress that comes in handy for the right situation. His ideals of learning equate to how I feel about the dress, when wearing it I am at a disequillibrium, sort of unsure but excited going to new extremes or that feeling of discomfort before the aha moment arrives. Montessori is my warm and beautiful scarf, never quite infringing upon my outfit yet tying it together quite nicely, allowing for my own creativity to decide how it will be worn. Erickson is the hoodie that comforts and keeps me warm, like my jeans is a steady constant. The hoodie is a timeless piece in ones assortment of clothing appropriate for all ages and all stages of life, in the right context. It is a simple and uncomplicated piece of clothing yet provides confidence, yet it is not a piece that can be worn in every situation and sometimes has to be abandoned for something more exciting and less rigid. This is where Vygotsky steps in as a one of the basics to any outfit, the well fitted t-shirt, the shirt is the scaffolding for many outfits on which one can build it into something truly stunning. Like a t-shirt it needs something else to help it to become complete and depends on the other elements of the outfit to provide essentially what it's missing. The t-shirt really isn't a complete outfit on it's own, it needs pants (a teacher) or shorts (a peer) to help it come together. All of the pieces in my suitcase are essential and have their role, but sometimes when they are worn all together can make a confusing mess of an outfit.

No comments:

Post a Comment