Thursday, July 28, 2011

White Privilege ~ There isn't just one flesh color.

The reading I decided to discuss was White privilege. After reading the article I thought that it was very interesting and familiar to things I’ve read in the past from college. The author talked about white privilege in relation to male privilege and how white people are often unaware of the advantages we have over other races in the United States. This is similar to how men don’t often think about the idea that women shouldn’t walk alone at night whereas they can freely. Another thing the author discussed was that even when people realize who is being oppressed and who is the oppressor, they don’t want to give up their privilege. It’s interesting to note that is the reason why one group has more is because another group has less. You can’t both have more because it’s a balancing scale.

One statement that I really agree with and shocked me was #26 on her list: “I can choose blemish cover or bandages in flesh color and have them more or less match my skin” (McIntosh, 3). I had been going through the list and was thinking I could see the reasoning and that it was mostly true but once I hit the last one I realized how true that really is and what right do white people have to call that peachy color “skin color” which I have been known to think with crayons. It’s a habit because it’s my skin color but that doesn’t mean it’s the skin color.

One that I disagree with is #1: “I can if I wish arrange to be in the company of people of my race most of the time” (McIntosh, 2). I personally can do that but I was thinking I also live in Oregon, a very white state. There are some areas in the United States where there are a lot of other races and white people are the minority. So I guess what I’m saying is that depending on where you live this could be agreed or disagreed for someone white. I’m not trying to stir anything up by this comment at all I’m just saying in my mind it is less strong than the other privileges listed.

One quote that spurs me to action would be: “Keeping most people unaware that freedom of action is there for just a small number of people props up those in power, and serves to keep power in the hands of the same groups that have most of it already” (McIntosh, 4). The reason why is because I don’t like the idea of things being unfair and that I would rather have things change now and have my future children grow up in a more fair environment where the world is a little less hypocritical and we can truly mean and promote that all men are created equal.

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree with your action quote. Keeping ourselves aware is key and it is essential to educating our future students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll agree and disagree with your #2. I lived in Southern California for several years which, as you can imagine, is vastly more diverse than Oregon. While part of my choice of where to live was undoubtedly motivated by money, I probably could have chosen a neighborhood where i was not in the minority and could still afford. And even aside from where I lived, I could freely choose to spend my time with people outside of my neighborhood that are the same race as me. I had the mobility to leave my neighborhood easily at any time. I read her comment going beyond just residence, though certainly that is a large part of it.

    ReplyDelete