Tuesday, July 26, 2011

I am from reflection

Honestly... I felt very uncomfortable after Friday's class. It was a pretty intense activity that was only allocated a short period of time at the end of class and therefore couldn't really absorb the full impact of the activity. While I didn't share in this activity I have shared parts of my life in other classes that have led to a breakdown when I wasn't expecting it. Knowing, appreciating, and accepting who I am and where I come from isn't always easy. Understanding myself personally and speaking on it publicly are very different, and I feel like I have to do it on my terms. I didn't share on Friday because of that. However, I can appreciate others willingness to share their experiences. Still I felt like we left with a big elephant in the room - I care about my cohort and not being able to have closure to the activity left me feeling a little frustrated. Because of the personal nature of the activity I didn't feel like I could comfort my peers... something that was difficult for me.

Preparing the workshop for Wednesday class has required me to think about my own experiences of Power and Privilege - much like the I am From poem does. This process has allowed me to think about my experiences personally before relating them to teaching, the classroom, and the cohort. I am excited for this workshop and an additional exercise to think about who we are and where we come from. These are not easy subjects to openly talk about and I appreciate everyone's willing to share, and understanding of some of our hesitations and fears. 

2 comments:

  1. Katie-thanks for your comments. I think most of us want to share on our own terms, which is why I so appreciated Zalika leaving it open to silence. If no one had shared that would have been ok, too. And though it felt like it was left hanging out there, I think that was good. I don't know that that is one that should have closure right away. I think a lot of us left still thinking about what we had heard and/or more about ourselves. Hearing others often prompts thoughts/memories for me. I can see the value it leaving space afterward to continue thinking instead of just 'closing' it up and calling it good. (I know that's not what you were meaning exactly)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie,

    I felt a lot the same way as you. I really enjoyed the activity and I think it was needed and meaningful but, like you said, I left feeling a little frustrated and would have liked to debrief our time together more . . . thanks for voicing this.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete