Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Museum Moment - Baby's Garden

There were many moments that I was able to capture while on our field trip to the Oregon Children's Museum, however there was one in particular that caught my attention. I was hanging out in the Baby's Garden, watching children play with each other and their parents sitting on the couch watching at a distance. While I was enjoying watching the children play I wasn't really finding a 'moment' that would directly relate to a theorist we've been studying. As I was leaving the Baby's Garden, I go to unlatch the door and there stands a 2 year old girl in her diaper (pants optional?) and she holds up her hands and tells me, "I'll do it!" and she proceeds to unlatch the door, pull it open and smile at me while saying, "here ya go!" After that moment I stopped to look around and see what allowed for that interaction. I noticed that the latch on the children's door and the latch on the adult's door were the same. Allowing for children to use what they know (their door) and apply it to the adult's door. This seems like a Montessori idea of having actual materials at the child's size so that they can use and explore the same materials as the adults.  Because of this, I think she felt more comfortable helping others and exploring somethings outside of her original world. The colors and the calmness of the space itself was less hectic and allowed for the children to take charge of their space. Not only did I witness a moment in which I saw the benefits of theory but it was also a moment that bridged the gap between the child's world and my own because she was interested and willing to help. It was really neat.

2 comments:

  1. I think I would have liked to meet your new pantless two-year old friend! I love how all of a sudden, almost out of nowhere epiphanies occur, just as you were about to leave :) Great connection!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a neat story. I think it is interesting that a physical element in the environment (the adult and child latches) "scaffolded" (if that's the right use of this term) a social interaction--this little one offering to open the gate for you.

    ReplyDelete