Friday, July 22, 2011

She's Come Undone

As I frantically scribbled my thoughts of where “I am from,” I thought of the title of a book I read several years ago called “She’s Come Undone.” I felt a little crazy and emotional and even a bit overwhelmed with everything my life has seen and been a part of. As tears welled in my eyes I realized there is a lot more to me than I’m willing to share. When my daughter asked me a few hours later how school has been going I felt the emotion well up in me once again. I explained to her the exercise we did, and that I really saw how important it is to realize every child/student/person “is from” much more than we’ll ever know. I sensed the respect and compassion we had for one another in our classroom this afternoon, and realized that is what made the environment feel safe for sharing. I felt how essential trust, love, and acceptance are to all learning, and truly understood for the first time that we, as teachers have to get to this place with each child. What an eye opening final fifteen minutes of class! Thank you for this incredible experience!

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree, Emily. This was such a great experience and there were so many layers people could shed. Some people shared happy funny things and others shared personal dark/deep things. I wish that we would have had more time to write even to really think about it more. That is so sweet that you shared with your daughter. I went home and discussed with my parents too. I love it when we can learn more about each other :)

    ReplyDelete