Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Ice Breaker 7/22

For this class ice breaker, Brendan and I paired off each student and instructed one student from each pair to close their eyes. Then we wrote the word "house" on the board. The student with their eyes opened directed the student with their eyes closed about how to draw the picture. Our only rules were that the partner with open eyes couldn't say the word "house" or touch their partner.

After about 5 minutes we had a class discussion about what it was like for the partner with closed eyes and what it was like for the partner with open eyes. We discussed what worked and what didn't work or what was interesting about a particular communication style.

Then we had each person find a new partner and take on the role they hadn't done yet (i.e. if I had my eyes closed, now I would keep my eyes open and direct my partner).

For the second round we chose the phrase "Christmas scene." This was a more challenging and open ended image to depict. Again, partners weren't allowed to say the words on the board or touch their partner.

After the second round we had a time of debriefing/class discussion.

I think this ice breaker is appropriate for ages as young as 1st grade all the way into adulthood. There are many ways you can adapt this activity to make it your own or draw out certain lessons.

No comments:

Post a Comment