Tuesday, July 19, 2011

The Theoretical Bicycle

The Frame: Dewey
I see Dewey as the father of constructivist theory. Most of the theorists whom we have studied used Dewey's theories as a spring-board for their own theories. His theories seem to be the most all encompassing including social aspects, observation, planning, organizing, and helping the children to construct meaning out of their world.

The Pedals: Vygotsky
Vygotsky's theories about ZPD and scaffolding remind me of the pedals on a bike. He is constantly trying to move the student forward and figure out where to take them next. He also observes the student to find out when to stop pedaling or when to pedal slower (scaffolding).

The Gears: Piaget & Erikson
Piaget and Erikson are the gears because their theories include stages of development that children move through like the gears on a bike. If it's a Piagetian bike, the gears can only move forward. If it's an Eriksonian bike, you can skip gears but you'll have to find the one you skipped eventually.

The Handlebars: Kohlberg
I chose the handlebars for Kohlberg because morality is what steers the bike in a particular direction. While I see some dangerous pitfalls in Kohlbergs theories, I think the idea that we are moral creatures and that we have a responsibility to one another and to our world is a driving force, not only for education, but for all of life.

The Wheels: The Kids
The wheels are the kids because they are where the rubber meets the road. The kids are the ones experiencing every aspect of where the bike takes them - they are the ones most affected by the direction and condition of the bike.

The Spokes: Montessori
I chose Montessori as the spokes of the bike because I see her theories as the most child centered of the theorists. It is like she is extending her hand to the children and telling them, "You are capable of creating meaning for yourselves. Let me support you in any way I can to help you discover that meaning."

1 comment:

  1. I liked your metaphor! I also felt that for me Dewey was a main frame/structure. It was really great to read how you interpret the theorists and your descriptions are very clear. They help solidify my ideas about each theorist. I also like how you included the kids as part of the bike! How could I forget about the children?!

    ReplyDelete