Tuesday, July 26, 2011

It's funny because I had a hard time starting the "I Am From" writing prompt. It took me some time to get out of my head and really think about the things that make me, me. Once I did get to a deeper place, some things came out that I don't often reflect on. I chose to share on Friday not really feeling like it was a big deal - but as soon as I did, something weird happened to me. I felt completely vulnerable and a huge part of me wanted to take my words back. I wasn't sure how what I shared would be taken - like Paige said, maybe these things that are such a fundamental and complex part of who I am would be misunderstood or looked at as trivial. It left me feeling a little exposed and a little raw.

I was really grateful to the listeners in the room and I know that the listening was done with respect and mutuality. Although I have mixed feelings about sharing, I'm glad I did. I think it is important to feel uncomfortable sometimes and to put your trust into those around you. Sometimes it is your turn to speak and sometimes it's your turn to listen. Both are needed in a community and I'm sure that we will all have plenty of opportunities for both this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment