Friday, July 29, 2011

invisible knapsack

Peggy McIntosh's concept of white privilege as an “invisible knapsack” which daily benefits white people who usually unknowingly carry it around is a really powerful metaphor for those who may be reluctant or even downright opposed to admitting white privilege permeates all arenas of social life in our society. As I grapple with “not knowing what I don't know” and realizing that I have internalized many assumptions and stereotyped put forth by mass media, having a concrete list of “provisions, maps, passports, codebooks, visas, clothes, tools, and blank checks” that I take for granted is extremely useful in deconstructing my prejudices. It is a good reminder that while I believe myself to be open-minded and resistant to racist and classist stereotypes, there are always more steps I can take toward becoming more critically conscious.

Whites are taught to think of their lives as morally neutral, normative, and average, and also ideal, so that when we work to benefit others, this is seen as work which will allow “them” to be more like “us.”

This quote resonates with me. I cannot help but think about the standard of “Standard English” that Deplit discusses, and how in order to be taken seriously in any academic area, you must write eloquently in Standard English. This is true from science to theory to political writings. I have always accepted this as completely reasonable and now it makes me wonder...not that I think that we should abandon good writing, but that language is an extremely powerful gatekeeper in and of itself, especially to these professional fields.

...the myth of meritocracy, the myth that democratic choice is equally available to all.”

I do not deny that the playing field is extremely uneven, but I am wary of the fine line between disadvantages and excuses. I wholeheartedly agree that some groups of people have much more access to certain resources and therefore certain academic or professional tracks, but I also think we (especially we liberals) need to be careful about choosing how to cast light on the relativity of merit-based achievements. When we brazenly talk about meritocracy as a total myth, we may potentially offend or alienate several groups: conservatives who may feel attacked to be told their lives are essentially complete lies, and therefore may be even likely to see our point of view; oppressed people who have beaten the odds and are proud of their achievements; poor white people or middle/upper class people of color who have had both obstacles and advantages in life and view their success as genuine; and non-oppressed women and men who have worked hard and maintained open minds and humble attitudes about their successes.

Keeping most people unaware that freedom of confident action is there for just a small number of people props up those in power, and serves to keep power in the hands of the same groups that have most of it already.”

Substantial changes in the system are likely to come from those who already exercise the power. I believe McIntosh would put me (and herself) in one of these groups who have the power, so it only makes sense to me that not only do I have the ability to influence powers that be and effect change, but the responsibility. I already admit that I possess white privilege, and that I don't know that I don't know, and I think these are two crucial first steps toward working to distribute power and resources more evenly amongst the citizens of our country. I chose teaching because I saw it as the best way for me to serve my community, but I think who I see in “my community” has changed radically since I began this program. My communities are local, national, and global; my community is the human community. As long as I can keep seeing all people as people – people who love and cry and struggle and celebrate just like me – I think I will be able to make some pretty positive ripples.

No comments:

Post a Comment