Thursday, July 28, 2011

Peggy McIntosh

In her article she writes about how white people may be aware of the "oppressed" but we often do not identify as the "oppressor" if we view ourselves as unbiased.  As happenstance, we are awarded numerous advantages day to day in our society and we may not ever realize how lucky we are.  She goes on to list many specific advantages one has if they are a member of the dominant (in this case) white culture.

One statement that I would agree with is "The feeling that one belongs within the human circle... should not be seen as a privilege for a few." This statement really made me think about how oblivious I have been to the fact that I am a person who benefits every day strictly because I am white.  I remember a day in class when we were discussing race and someone mentioned the fact that being white meant never having to think about the color of your skin while people of color are forced to be overly aware of theirs. This is a little discouraging to me because it means that I will never fully be able to understand what others go through.

A statement that I would disagree with is "I can go into a music shop and count on finding the music of my race represented, into a supermarket and find the staple foods which fit with my cultural traditions, into a hairdresser's shop and find someone who can cut my hair."  I do agree with the last statement however I feel that most retail shops, if not a specialized one, carry a multitude of food items, music, etc. Granted there are places where you would have to go to find special items but I think for the most part our "melting pot" is being at least somewhat represented in stores.

A statement that makes me want to take action is "Power from unearned privilege can look like strength when it is in fact permission to escape or to dominate." I believe that becoming aware of power and privilege can be a huge benefit to teaching. Recognizing that I have an advantage over others for something I didn't even choose is an odd feeling. It is one I plan to keep myself aware of.

2 comments:

  1. Erin, I really like your first quote. Belonging is something that everyone should be able to feel. While I've never really had to think about it in this sense, because I am white, I hope that I can instill that sense at first within my classroom, and then maybe eventually within my community. :) thanks Erin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Erin And Katie! Even though I have read the article more than once, for some reason your first quote didn't really hit me until I read your post. I can't even imagine what it feels like to "not be considered part of the human circle." I have taken for granted that even though I have moved all over the country I have always felt like I belong. Thanks for waking me up to this quote!

    ReplyDelete