Monday, July 18, 2011

Sweet satchel of theories

If you've seen the Nancy Drew movie (and I know you all have!), she had this fantastic bag she carried with her everywhere and it had anything she could possibly need in it. Magnifying lens, rope, tweezers--you bet. A little tin of dessert, just in case--of course! She was fashionable and prepared. The casual passerby might think I'm just carrying a groovy bag along with me like anyone else, but watch out! When I open this baby up it has all kinds of hidden pockets and compartments at my disposal. Lift this flap and I'll find some info. on Piaget's stages as I'm pondering the development my students are going through and how those stages of development might play in to what we are learning. Open this pocket and I can find some tools, both literal and metaphorical, that Montessori recommends for kids to get hands on experience. Undo this clasp and I'll find Vygotsky's ZPD and scaffolding information as I stretch my students in their learning. Kohlberg is hanging out in the mesh pocket so I can take him out when I want to move my students along in their thinking over moral dilemas. The extra special zipper pouch holds vital information--phone numbers and email address to my professors and cohort members. These are the people I know I can count on when I need some help or feedback, or just a friendly word. I still have some room in this amazing bag, though, as I know there is more to learn and more to tuck away for later. Finally, critical thinking (which we've talked about in ED 550) is the strap keeping all this good information close at hand so I can pull it out and reference it at any time I need.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Amy,
    I haven't seen the movie, but I sure read a lot of those books as a kid. Good old Nancy was always so darn capable. I like your metaphor because imagining it makes me feel a little more relaxed, confident, and fashionable myself. Well, that's not true, I'll never manage to be fashionable. But I would like to aim for my own handbag of theories to be a little tidier and easier to access like that. Right now my handbag is kind of messy because I've been throwing so much into it so fast. I need more pockets. Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete