Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Visual metaphor

I like to think of the knowledge that we have learned thus far as represented as a scale.  The base of the scale for me is Vygotsy.  His concept of ZPD, qualitative and quantitative concepts and scaffolding grounds the balance between the other theorists.  His views of education most relate wholly to my views of how a child's academic experience should be.  Next on the the left scale holds Dewey and Montessori with their beliefs of children learning tasks independently with little guidance from the instructor, believing that observation was the most important role of the teacher.  On the right scale holds Piaget and Erikson.  Both believe that children go through certain developmental stages that should be held into consideration while in the school setting.  Although all the theorists hold some sort of common beliefs that are shared with each other they all have their own niche.  Picking and choosing some concepts from each may make the scale appear off balance, but what is off to others may be the perfect balance for you.

1 comment:

  1. Erin,

    I really like the metaphor of a scale. It has been important to me to not let any one theory or theorists have too much weight in my own ideals about education and my future career as a teacher. It's all about balance!

    ReplyDelete