Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Museum Moment

I was automatically drawn to the waterworks area, because honestly, who doesn't like water! I looked around and began to take notice of this blue land. While the smell of chlorine reminded me of my neighborhood pool I ritually visited during my childhood summers, everything in the water area was blue and tranquil, heck the lights even had fish on them! I believe the tranquil setting really allowed young children to calmly absorb all the tactile benefits surrounding them. The waterworks area lent an educational environment for older children as well, as the wheels, pipes, buttons, and pools allowed the children to see water as a force. I observed an especially adorable little boy who I assume is around two playing in the area where you could create waterway paths and damns, and then have ducks go through the pathways. While the older children at the water table were creating paths that went this way and that, the young boy played with his duck contently. What I thought was interesting was the young boy would let go of his duck, and then as soon as he noticed it would leave him, he would catch it with his hands quickly. The young boy did this for quite a while as the older children played around him respectfully. If Piaget was here right now, he would tap me on the shoulder and say, "See Anna, this child clearly is experiencing object permanence and separation anxiety towards his duck!"

1 comment:

  1. That sounds like a great moment to have observed! I like how you noticed the different levels of play that were occurring in the same space and how different age groups used the exhibit in different ways. I also think your last line about Piaget is hilarious~

    ReplyDelete