Friday, July 22, 2011

In response to Amy Dawson...

Amy's Question: I have a question about codes of power. Children may come to school with all different power codes than the ones we have in our country. How do we as educators help students balance the multiple codes of power they may possess?

I think that you are referring to a student from another country adjusting to the codes of power in the United States. If I am wrong.....than disregard the rest of what I have to say.... I think that even though codes of power may be different in different cultures, there is a specific "code of power" in this country. I think our jobs as teachers includes helping students recognize those power imbalances and determine the best way to navigate through the power system in this country. I also believe that even though there is a set code of power in our culture, who has the power can shift based on the situation (is this what you are referring to?) For example, even though being white gives you power in this country, Zalika described a situation in which she had more power than her white colleagues when working with minority families in her school. I understand why and how this occurs but still need further help exploring this idea of codes of power and all the different ways in which it can rear its head.

No comments:

Post a Comment