Thursday, July 28, 2011

Teaching the Hard of the Head

In Charles M. Payne's article he talks about how Delpit's book Other People's Children is like an aspirin for a lake of awareness. I thought this was a very well state analogy for this entire book. While Delpit takes a stance that makes us aware of both the systematic issue and the personal issue of racism in the classroom, she also offers area of hope. This book acts as a welcoming wake up call.

One statement I can agree with: "They could not get past the idea that being from Stanford or Yale gave them the right to lead; they could not get hold of the idea that people who hadn't been to high school were, as Lisa Delpit says in Other People's Children, experts in their own lives and had as much to teach as anyone at Yale." This quote reassures me that the people who know best are the students and their families. Regardless of my good intentions, without insight into their personal lives, I can't teach the way that I want or continue to learn from them.

One statement I can argue with: "One of the privileges of being white in this country is that it largely insulates one from critical discussion." I wouldn't say that I disagree with this topic because  that would be untrue.. however, I don't want this sentence, this privilege to scare me, stop me, or be an excuse for me. I'm not sure how to immerse myself whole heartily, and respectfully. To be the teacher I hope to be, this statement can't stop me.

One statement that urges me to act: "They somehow go through $160,000 worth of schooling without learning to think self-reflectively, without learning to think of themselves as part of the problematic." Whether this is referring to Teacher Education programs, or public school, the idea of self-reflection and everyone's impact on the system of education can't be overlooked. This quote makes me want to start the process of self-reflectiveness early that allows students to see themselves in the system - as a part of it, as a controller of it, as a player of it, and as someone who can and will make a difference.


P.s. I love this quote...
"When I use my power in the service of my vision I am less afraid." Audre Lourde 


1 comment:

  1. Katie, I love the first quote you pulled out. It is so vital for us to know what we do not know. We are not and can never be experts on anyone else's experience and because of this we MUST learn from other people regardless of how our status in society defines how much we know.

    ReplyDelete