Monday, July 25, 2011

Even after all of the self-reflection we’ve been asked to do over the last five weeks, I wasn’t expecting the depths that the “I am from” activity would take me to. This activity was the first time in a long time that I really took the time to think about all of the things, people, places, and events that have created me as I am today. All of these large and small pieces of identity are often the things that I most want to share with people but are also the most difficult. Some seem too trivial, and some too raw. Sharing myself on either of these levels feels scary, I worry about not being taken seriously, or not being understood. I appreciated the safe space we created in the classroom on Friday and wonder how often we will recreate or find those safe spaces again. I see the necessity of creating the time and place to open up in these ways because how else do we remind ourselves that, as Sarah said, joy is joy and pain is pain and we all have both. There are so many ways we can compare ourselves to others, but the important thing is remembering that we are all connected. The next question is how do you cultivate that connectedness with your students? How do you find the time and focused place to do so?

2 comments:

  1. I agree with the part about comparing ourselves to others and the need for a safe space in a classroom. i think that is one of the great things about how our cohorts are set up. it allows us to get to know one another rather deeply in a short amount of time, which in turn makes it easy to share and not feel uncomfortable sharing our life stories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Erin that the way that we have gotten to know each other rather deeply in a short amount of time, helps us to feel more comfortable, and feel that we are in a safe environment. Also, we are all adults and know that respect, understanding and listening as much as possible without using judgment is key. In a classroom of children this may prove more difficult and there are some children who get these concepts more than others. I am realizing how important establishing classroom norms is with kids- and establishing different norms for different subjects and activities as well as basics for overall classroom interactions. Some aspects of the "I am from Activity" also seemed too raw for me to share. I was getting hung up on what I might want to share and what I wouldn't want to share. I think that this exercise would be more comfortable for me with a little more practice, and hopefully I could get past those "raw" aspects, and move on to other important aspects of what makes me me. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete