Thursday, July 28, 2011

Making the Invisible Knapsack Visible

Give a quick summary of the thesis of your chosen text so we can be "with you" as we read your reflection.

I chose the Peggy McIntosh article on white privilege. I think the main thesis of this article is encapsulated in the quote at the top of the article; I was taught to see racism only in individual acts f meanness, not in invisible systems conferring dominance on my group.

Please write one statement you can "agree" with and why.

Many, perhaps most, of our white students in the U.S think that racism doesn't affect them because they are not people of color; they do not see "whiteness" as a racial identity.

This quote reminds me of Freire's theory that within an unjust system the oppressors are oppressed right along with those they are oppressing. I think as white people we don't want to admit that we are part of a system of oppression because as compassionate and level headed people, we don't want to associate with such an ugly act as oppression. Freire's says that the oppressors must be willing to rethink their way of life and to examine their own role in the oppression if true liberation of the oppressed is to occur. He says, "Those who authentically commit themselves to the people must re-examine themselves constantly." Even though it can be uncomfortable, even heart wrenching to think of myself as an oppressor, if I want to commit myself to "the people" (all people!) I must be willing to say that I am part of an oppressive culture and then do something about it.

One statement that spurs you to "action" in some way.

Disapproving of the systems won't be enough to change them.

It seems to me that most reasonable people would agree that white privilege is completely unacceptable. But how many times have you heard someone complain that the reason they didn't get into the school they wanted was because of affirmative action? When it comes to giving up some of our power (as whites) I think it's really easy to talk about it, but hard to actually do. It seems a lofty task to change the system of oppression that has occurred since our country's origins. I'm convinced that the first and most important step is to recognize my own participation within that system - without being defensive or combative - but to come at the conversation with an open mind and a vulnerable spirit. I think education is one of the most influential ways (if not the most influential) way to combat the racist system that exists in our society. I hope that throughout my career as an educator, I will have the courage, inspiration, and allies, to help me in my journey.

2 comments:

  1. Linda - While reading your thoughts on how the oppressors are oppressed right along with the people, the drawing you did for Sara's class to illustrate the word "humanization" immediately came to mind. When we discussed this concept in our Perspectives class I had difficulty imagining exactly how the oppressors would need freeing too, but your blog makes it very obvious. In liberating the oppressed and the oppressors (ourselves!) we should all become more human.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda,
    I completely agree with you on your post. One thing that really caught my eye was the part about taking action. I know several people who complain about that and they truly believe that it's unfair with affirmative action. What's interesting is when these people think that they deserve it more because they have better grades. What they don't think about is that is a privilege on its own that whites are catered to in the classrooms because it's white culture that is in the curriculum. What they don't see is that it is wrong but for different reasons. It's wrong that affirmative action is one of the very few ways of making things even. If there were more than maybe a lot of white people would realize a little taste of the other side.

    ReplyDelete