Thursday, July 21, 2011

Questions

First, my question has to do more with the workshop that we did on wednesday about fluency and skills and how to teach/do those activities. Maybe this is also considered process writing. I have been in a first grade classroom where fluency was key. All the teacher wanted was ideas on paper even if it didn't look like particular words. I have also been a helper in a first grade classroom where the teacher had the parent helpers as well as myself reread each child's journal entry and circle all the misspelled words (and there were quite a few....) but I felt so harsh doing it. Is there a happy medium? Is the fluency approach good for only certain grades and skills for others? Is this something I can't control and I'll have to just flow with and see what works? It's hard for me because through this program we've looked at so many techniques and theories, but sometimes schooling seems so dichotomous with "either or" situations like those different first grade classrooms. Will I be able to handle it?? We'll see, I guess....

Olivia-I have always pictured class as meaning money or financial situations but you bring up good points about that it could be something else like a person's knowledge putting them in a different class. I don't know if I necessarily have an answer for you, but I appreciate your comment because it has me thinking about the term more.

I also have the question about the difference between progressive and constructivist education. I feel like sometimes I refer to them or talk about them as if I know what I'm saying, but maybe I am totally off base?

1 comment:

  1. I know I am supposed to post it as another blog, but here goes. In my opinion about teaching first graders writing in regards to the fluency v. the more traditional way of circling errors and such. I really feel like sometimes different schools favor one model over the other and as a new teacher we might have to sort of adhere to this, especially as an intern, but doing what works is the way it should be, and who knows being that traditional stickler of a teacher might be what some classes (I don't mean social or economic, I mean it literally) need and what works for them. Very gray areas were treading into.

    ReplyDelete