Tuesday, July 12, 2011

What a show!

My museum moment was in the theatre. Walking in, I was greeted by two girls on the stage telling people to "sit down please, the show is about to begin." They were wearing costumes, and using posts for microphones. Backstage, there were many other children enjoying the exhibit in other ways. There was music, the curtains were opening and closing, there was even another play in the works. The two girls out front would turn around from time to time and ask the other children to "be quiet, there is a show going on here." Another child walked into the seats, and noticed a control panel for the lights and sounds. She began to push the buttons, and spin the knobs. As an adult, at first all I could see was chaos. A part of me wanted to control and organize the children to put on a play. I realized that while I was trying to make sense of the situation, the children were happily playing, barely noticing the ruckus. What I learned was each student could learn something about a theatre in different ways at the same time, and that all parts did not have to function in unison for this to happen. The girls on stage demonstrated this very clearly, as their play continued throughout the mayhem.

1 comment:

  1. I observed the children playing on the stage as well. Some were singing, some were dancing and some were playing instruments but they all sort of worked together to crete a show. It was very interesting to watch how they put it together.

    ReplyDelete